Communities of faith thinking like a hub
Communities of faith are the ‘commons’. These are the places where people have gathered for literally millennium. They have gathered for worship. But they have also gathered around food, for activities, for raising children, for helping the marginalized and to experience community.
This includes but is not exclusive to churches, temples, mosques and synagogues. If you gather together worshiping and/or serving motivated by a faith tradition you are a community of faith.
Why should communities of faith become Community Innovation Hubs? Because communities of faith have been doing this very thing for years:
Exhibit A: Healthcare in Canada which has been toted as one of the most progressive and inclusive healthcare programs in the world was originally sponsored by communities of faith. Why else do you think that so many hospitals are called St Joseph, St Michael, and many others.
Exhibit B: Operation Sharing is a non-profit founded by a community of faith that was created in Woodstock ON in order to combat food poverty. They took the food bank model and pushed it further. Who is better to partner with to combat food poverty than a grocery store? So Operation Sharing did just that and has some money from all sales of the grocery stores in Woodstock being donated to alleviate food poverty. And they are not finished, they continue to fund innovation in food poverty work and have shared their learnings with others across the country.
What Does membership include?
- The Community Innovation Hub Starter Kit for Communities of Faith, Random Acts of Kindness Kit and the turnkey kit for the Social Innovation Jam
- Regular online check-ins with other Community Innovation Hubs so that you can share what is on your mind, learn from each other, and be supported.
- Themed online conversations and skill building specific to the innovation that you are interested in
- Ongoing Coaching and consultation including network, financial and skill-building support
- Customized letters of support to enhance your grant applications
- Listing in the membership directory and up to 5 page micro-site to help you be found as well as instantly launch your Community Innovation Hub.
- Access to additional kits and other resources including Agrihood setup, Coworking Centres setup, and a Makerspace set up kits through the member-exclusive resource section
- Access to capacity building workshops and events at member rates (often at no cost to members)
100$/yr for one year for Communities of Faith
200$/yr for all other organizations